Apprentices who have completed one growing season at Fort Hill Farm may apply to be considered for a Grower position. Growers will review and refine farming skills learned in the first year, and add new skill sets required to manage a small scale farm. The position will start the first Monday in March and end in mid-December. Hourly work may be available before and after above dates
Possible Farm Management responsibilities:
- first choice for tractor operations (i.e. cutting beds, stale bedding, transplanter, compost spreading/management, mowing, disking, spading, etc).
- drip or overhead irrigation management
- farmers’ market management
- wholesale produce account management
- PYO management: flowers, herbs, vegetables
- crew leader for planting, weeding, and harvesting tasks
- farm machinery repair projects
- crop foliar testing and nutrient management
- fruit tree management
- pest scouting and pesticide applications
- crop seeding (high density seeding and planet Junior seeders)
- crop cultivation (Lilliston, tine weeder, AC G tools)
- cover crop seeding
Compensation for the Grower position includes:
- farm produce and eggs
- $12 starting hourly wage with merit based raises
- approximate work load: March, 25-35 hours/week; April-May, 40-45 hours/week; June-September, 40-50 hours/week; October,40 hours/week, November 35-40 hours/week).
- $500 year-end bonus
Growers may choose to live off the farm, or rent a room in the crew house, at $200 a month.